About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog! I'm Jennifer, but most people call me Jenny. I'm a small town Texas girl, born again Christian, mommy to 2 beautiful boys, wife to my high school sweetheart, scrapbook supply junkie, and occasional paper sniffer. :) Here you will find bits and pieces of my scrapbooking projects, daily thoughts, and just general randomness. Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Recipe #9 - Another easy, yummy dinner! :)


Well, looks like I'm going to make my New Year's goal of trying out at least 10 new recipes this year! I tried #9 the other night, and we all loved it. We had plenty for leftovers the next day too. I thought this one may be a little too spicy for my boys since it has salsa and green onions in it, but it wasn't. It was REALLY yummy! :) Here you go:

Easy Cheesy Beef & Bowties

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups uncooked bow-tie (farfalle) pasta (6 oz)
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green onions (8 medium)
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1 cup Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar-American cheese blend (6 oz)

DIRECTIONS

* 1. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
* 2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked. Drain.
* 3. Reserve 2 tablespoons onions for garnish; stir remaining onions, the soup and salsa into beef. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 minutes.
* 4. Stir in cooked pasta; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese; cook just until melted. Sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoons onions.

****************************************************
While chopping up the green onions for this, I was immediately reminded of my maternal grandmother, Granny Sue, who past away when I was a child. When I would go to spend the night with her in her apartment, she would make us a bologna sandwich with a tall glass of milk....we'd always have raw green onions to eat with the sandwiches. Funny thing is, I didn't like onions....but there was something about those fresh green onions with a sandwich from my Granny's house. While eating our sandwiches and green onions, we would stay up late playing Skip-Bo until well past my bedtime.

My eyes watered while cutting up the onions for this recipe....but it wasn't because of the onions. I just miss my Granny.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Oh Jenny, this sounds sooooo yummy!!!..Has everythng I love in one dish!..:)