Friday, January 22, 2010
Tried Another Recipe...
Ehhh.....not so great. I tried Chicken Tortilla Casserole (a crockpot recipe).
I just never have much luck with the family liking crockpot recipes. It's a shame, really.
Neither of the boys liked it very much. In fact, I think Aaron spit more out that he actually ate. It was okay, I thought...but not my favorite. Too onion-y (is that a word??) for our liking, even though I put less onions in there than it called for! It's a good cold weather meal...but probably won't be making this one again anytime soon. I made Southwest cornbread to go with it...at least the boys ate that.
If you want to try it, here's the recipe:
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
-4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked in broth and cut into 1" pieces (reserve 1/4 cup broth chicken was cooked in
-10 6" flour tortillas, cut in strips about 1/2" wide x 2" long
-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 tsp. vegetable oil
-10 3/4-oz can chicken broth
-10 3/4-oz can cream of mushroom soup
2 4-oz cans mild chopped green chilies
1 cup cheese, grated
1. Pour reserved chicken broth in slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Scatter half the tortilla strips in bottom of slow cooker.
3. Mix remaining ingredients together, except the second half of the tortilla strips and the cheese.
4. Layer half the chicken mixture into the cooker, followed by the other half of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the chicken mix.
5. Cover. Cook on low in crockpot for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
6. Add the cheese to the top of the dish during the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.
7. Uncover and allow casserole to rest 15 minutes before serving.